Friday, March 20, 2009

Guest Bathroom Makeover

The great Spring Fever indoor project will be the guest bathroom. It's always been just OK, but really needs a little lipstick makeover to become great. You can see below I've been experimenting with paint shades, I feel like Goldilocks; "this shade it too light, this shade is too dark, and this shade is too icky". I haven't hit on the right shade yet, but I'm definitely narrowing in on it, thank heavens the local Ace sells paint testers in tiny little jars.
The floor has a big gray stain, likely water damage at some point, that hasn't gotten worse, just stays ugly. I am thinking of using the click together laminate that looks like tile and just go right over this old linoleum.
The other eyesore is the original stain peeling off the side of the cabinet. I'm not in love with this cabinet style, but it's in good shape and it's such a waste to throw it away to install something new, so we are going to strip and re-stain it a darker color. I got something called "Citristrip", which looks environmentally friendly and not as likely to give me cancer as some of the other chemicals strippers on the market. I hope it works as I'm not real excited about sanding this till my arms fall off and I want to do the same thing in the kitchen eventually.
last, but not least, is replacing all the shiny brass fixtures, which I really don't like. I am thinking of going for a dark bronze or brushed nickel look. Unless we somehow mess the whole thing up, we will also keep the white tile, sink and original shower/tub enclosure, they are in good shape and we don't want to dump too much money into this project.