Sunday, April 18, 2010

Reading Redux

Getting older so far hasn't yielded too many changes I've been thrilled about.  It takes longer to find the right words sometimes, the jelly rolls around the middle are multiplying and my feet get tired faster (in fact, I really never noticed my feet before, they always carried me uncomplaining for hours on end until just last year).  So I was completely delighted to discover a bonafide benefit of aging: I can now re-read some of my most favorite books from the past.  Many years ago I thought I could never re-read a book as I would recall the entire story after only a paragraph or two. 
A couple of things have happened that make re-reading a book possible and sometimes truly great.  I can no longer recall the story lines from the past so easily, which I shall choose to chalk up to my brain being full up with all the books I have read and the life I've lived.  The other change is that I am finding more pleasure in the tone and literary craftsmanship of good writers as a separate aspect of the book than the actual story line, a well crafted sentence, a witty reference, humorous pun or beautifully evocative imagery can really make my day.  Most recently I picked up Snow Crash from the local library, a book I read 15 years ago and I am really enjoying it, Neal Stephenson has a great ear for street lingo and is wonderfully imaginative.