Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Caution!! Not for the squimish!

This weekend I was out enjoying another fine morning in the backyard.

and as I was feeding the birds, I noticed a lizard near the food dish.

I've actually seen this one a few times before and recognized him by the short tail, it looked like he lost part of it a while ago.  Last year he scared the bejesus out of our friend who was building the pergola, the guy turned to get his lunch pail and this 6" lizard was sitting on it.  He thought it was our pet, I guess because it's pretty big for around here.  I was a little worried he was stuck in the aviary, so I was keeping an eye out for him from the kitchen and he was keeping his eye on me too.

I'm was pretty sure he lived underneath the bench across the walkway from the aviary, so I figured he would eventually head back that way on his own. After some time I heard a slight commotion coming from the yard and came upon this tragic little scene.
and the culprit was still at the scene of the crime chewing on the evidence, ughh.