Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hot Glass and Cold Beer

A friend and I went to a fun event at the Public Glass studio last night, Hot Glass and Cold Beer.  It was quite a scene, for the $25 door charge we got to pick our very own keepsake hand blown glass, as much beer and wine as we could stomach (which in my case was just 1/2 a glass, lightweight!) the fun of watching real glass artists design and create glass sculpture right in the midst of everyone and enjoyed it all to the rockin live band, Jabberwocky.  What a thrill.  I didn't take many pictures of the glassblowing stuff because it was quite crowded and I was a little afraid of getting bumped and, heaven forbid, somehow getting burned or messing up the artists at work.
below is the unique hand blown glass I chose, it is rather large and heavy, so I think it will make a great flower vase.
 we also were treated to a demonstration of superb lamp working, this is a slightly different technique of glass working using a torch to melt and work glass rods into smaller scale pieces, like glass beads. The artist we saw last night was creating the most amazing glass flowers in clear glass to be made into pendants, earrings, door pulls, etc.
 
The best part of the whole night, for me personally, was finally getting to see my very own, first ever, glass creation.  When last I saw this, it was a dark, shiny lump that was too hot to handle.  Now that I can see it, especially in the sunshine, I am most proud!! 
 
I think I might be hooked and will just have to take more glass working classes.