Saturday, July 3, 2010

At Last

I finally captured a decent picture of one of the hummingbirds, at last.  I haven't figured out the best camera settings for getting a decent photo of these guys, mostly they come out blurry.  I was out this morning playing with my new to me, used Nikon D50 SLR (got from a friend at work for a song) and managed to get one of the birds at the feeder.
This is the best I could get out of like 15 shots and I had to really clean it up in the free photo-editing Shutterfly software.  As I was giving up and heading back into the house, a male (or different species, not sure as it is the same size as the others, but has much more dramatic coloration with black head feathers and an iridescent purple throat patch) buzzed quite close to me and started feeding on some flowers ('Desert Sunrise' Agastache).  I hurriedly turned the camera back on and started snapping away.  I took about 10 photos and it turned out the very first one was the best of every shot I've gotten to date!
color me HAPPY!  I just love, love, love the little hummingbirds!

The bad dog is taking some time off from mischief today and snoozing on the bench outside.  The other dogs are sensibly in the house with the AC on, but Tex considers it his duty to keep a close eye on the backyard activities.