Saturday, November 13, 2010

Beads to Bangles- first attempt

The shiny, little beads are starting to accumulate and asking to be made into beautiful bangles.  Unfortunately, I do not have any beautiful bangle making skills (yet).  
So, off I went today to the local bead store in the Nut tree. The hapless husband manning the cash register was far more helpful than the shop owner and got me set up with a few basic items to do some wire jewelry.  A short walk to the bookstore to get some expert advice (a book on making wire jewelry) and at least 6 hours later, voila!
OK, not bad for a first attempt, however lacking any "ladies in waiting" I found that I cannot actually connect the clasp with one hand (required for putting on one's own bracelet).  It's pretty but also pretty useless.  Back to the drawing board and maybe some of the wire work can be rescued with an easier "one handed" type clasp.

I also got some leather cord and will see what can be done with this bead.  The Chinese character on it means benevolent, in this case kindhearted.