Saturday, September 17, 2011

Earring Display case

As promised, my new jewelry display case.  This is made of completely re-purposed items (except the rods).

The loose design concept was: "simple, modern, could be part of a retro space show (Star Trek, the Jetsons) and not antique, crafty or Victorian"
  • Deep, square picture frame about 20" x 20" at the Goodwill.  
  • Removed the glass and backer board (which I was happy to find was a hard composite material like MDF, not cardboard as I thought it would be).
  • Turned the whole thing around. This doesn't really change it in any appreciable way, but I needed the depth to be in the front so a simple mental switcheroo, and voila ... back is now front.
  • Spray painted with my beloved silver (I don't know why, but I just love to spray paint stuff silver!)
  • Drilled holes and inserted 5/8" wooden rods from Home Depot, cut to size
  • Covered backer board in leftover blue shantung from my bedroom curtains
  • Spray painted everything silver, many, many coats with sanding and spackling trying to hide the holes where the rods were inserted.
  • Gave up on spray paint on the sides, decided to hot glue a ribbon on the edge. 
 By some miracle I just happened to have enough length of the right thickness ribbon of  the PERFECT shade of blue to match the silk inside.  I guess some things are just meant to be.