Sunday, September 21, 2008

A weekend to dye for

What a lovely, and long, weekend it has been. I took Friday off as we had the company golf tournament. Now, as my friends can attest I am quite awful at the game of golf and actually woke up dreading this "fun" event. So, I gave myself (and my unknowing teammates) a gift by begging off. Initially, this posed a conundrum for me as I didn't want to make up a lie about why I wasn't going, like "my dog is sick", it didn't seem fair to the dog or my teammate, on the other hand I also didn't want to just say "hey, I hate golf, don't know what in the heck I was thinking and am just not gonna go", as that seemed a bit too blunt. So I finally settled on " I'm just not feeling up to it today", which was both vague and true.

Saturday we went to a friend's 50th birthday party. DH, being horribly allergic to cats, had the bright idea to use a gas mask in the hopes that we could stay in the house more than 60 minutes before a "total airway closure" emergency. God love him he walked into a house full of mostly strangers for a social situation (party) in a gas mask! Now, I ask you, what kind of cohones does it take for a man to do that! He is a true treasure, you must understand that he basically did this because he knew how badly I wanted to go and have him with me. I love this man.
Finally got around to creating the "sunset" backdrop for the elephant silhouettes in the African quilt. I started with 4 yards of 36" plain white muslin, dyed the entire piece a lovely shade of yellow in the washing machine, then I had to seam it to the approximate dimensions (square 52") and left is very over sized. Now the hard part, I wanted the middle to be orange and the bottom scarlet. So, I basted a couple of "guidelines" in black thread to divide the piece in thirds. Then dyed the entire lower 2/3rd orange on the stove, carefully holding the top 1/3 out of the dye bath. This turned out so well, I got excited and immediately started on the bottom 1/3 in scarlet. Well, not a total disaster, but I did learn that it's not smart to handle your lovely yellow parts with gloves stained in scarlet, damn! Anyway, I knew this was not likely to be perfect as it's the first time I attempted a complicated dye job, hopefully I can cover some of it up with the elephant silhouette. On top of the near dye disaster, I think my washing machine has developed a leak.