Saturday, March 5, 2011

Manny gets a job

As my faithful readers (all 3 of you) know, Manny, has been hanging around for a little while now and recently started bugging me for a "real job". We got into a big argument about the difference between decorative and ornamental (there is none really, Manny was just peevish with boredom).  I felt bad after our disagreement and conceded that perhaps he could be of use as my photo assistance.  At first, he could hardly contain himself from his excitement.
  he was a little surprised when I went in for the close up and it was of the BEADS, not his well formed head.
these are what I like to call the "UFO" shape beads (7mm x 17mm disk), made from Effetre pale transparent lavender (yes, the label said lavender) with a 2.4mm (3/32") hole.  A couple have the coveted newbie look,  "Sooty Swirls",  as I learned that this glass likes the flame super oxygenated.

Manny was having a lot of trouble balancing the tray and kept spilling the beads (he would happily spill the beans as well, but the only juicy gossip he has is that I dance like an epileptic fool around the garage to loosen up after every few beads.  There, now he officially has no beans to spill, I just beat him to it, HAH).  Oh yeah, back to the tray, so we tried and tried to correct his posture to no avail, and finally conceded he needed a new tray (AKA a jar lid).
by this time poor Manny's arms were getting quite fatigued and he must have decided the pay wasn't worth the abuse as he screamed out at me "oh for heaven's sake, woman, just GET ON WITH IT!" as I snapped this last photo.
these are 15mm x 15mm barrel shaped beads with a 2.4mm (3/32") hole, made from Effetre Blueberry Marble glass and etched for a matte finish.  I love the "wind tunnel" blue veining on these. 

Well, despite his poor attitude and pouting about not being the object of interest in the photos, he did perform well, so we might give this a shot again tomorrow after we both cool down a little.

Stay tuned for "Flowers", this month's technical challenge.  I tried a couple of new techniques and cannot wait to see what comes out of the kiln tomorrow (or maybe later tonight if I can't wait that long : )