Monday, February 16, 2009

ChemoCap project for Stitches West 2009

It's been a while since I updated the blog, so I have a few things to catch up on. First of all, I will be attending Stitches West in a couple of weeks. This is a HUGE event for obsessed knitters and crocheters, Mary and I went last year and were stunned at the sheer number of people there, literally thousands!
We took a special, dedicated train for the event from Davis to Santa Clara and will be doing so again. The people who organize the train ride (Stitch & Ride) also organize a charity project, last year and this year it's knitted caps for chemo patients who have lost their hair. The only requirement is to make it out of non-wool yarn, too many people find wool itchy, especially if their skin is already sensitive due to the treatment.
So, I found a cool pattern in an old knitting magazine (Nomad Hat and Scarf), and headed out to Joannes to procure some nice, chunky acrylic yarn to make this cap. The pattern actually calls for the hat and scarf to be knitted as one piece, but I thought that looks really funky, so I just deleted the scarf part and knit the hat alone with a 2-stitch I-cord bind off. It was fun to learn how to do the I-cord bind-off, many thanks to this YouTube video by CraftyAndy.

It's a little big on my pointy head, but fits Craig's big noggin perfectly, so it should be OK for someone.