Sunday, December 21, 2008

a new project

the cold weather and finding a one skein project to use with the pretty Noro silk yarn I got in a trade through the Ravelry site prompted me to start a new project.
I think this will be a good project to do on the long drive to and from LA for Christmas with the family. The project is a pair of fingerless mitts. I tried a new cast on technique (for me) as well, the Knitted Cast On. I like it because this technique doesn't require me to figure out how much yarn I will need for the entire cast on prior to starting, with this technique you just use the yarn as you go. Another first for me is going to be using double pointed needles (dpn), so I am rather excited to get started.

using the 5 dpn's is a little fiddly but not too bad and it's a technique I need to master to ever do a pair of socks (plus it looks quite impressive to non-knitters : ), so here goes.